|“|| the air god Aither (who was, in fact,
a total airhead).
–-Percy Jackson, in Percy Jackson's Greek Gods
Aither (also spelled as Aether) is the primordial god of Light and the Upper Air. He is the male counterpart of his sister and consort Hemera, with whom she had one child: Thalassa, a Protogenos of the Sea. Aither is a son of Nyx and Erebos.
HistoryAither (Light) was born from Nyx (Night) and Erebos (Mist and Darkness). With each morning, his shining light of heaven bathed the earth when his sister Hemera (Day) dispersed the night's mists.
- Caelumkiinesis: Being the physical embodiment of the Upper Air, Aither has absolute control over air and sky. His abilities include:
- Photokinesis: As the embodiment of light, Aither has absolute control over light.
- Ironically, Aither and Hemera are the elders children of Erebos and Nyx, the Darkness and the Night, while he and his sister are the Light and Day.
- Curiously, he and his sister Hemera are the only children of Nyx and Erebus who are Protogenoi even with the others being feelings or things, like Thanatos are the Death, Hypnos is the Sleep, etc.
- His Egyptian equivalent is Shu.
- The class of organic compounds, Ether, is named after him.
- The term "Ae" of sky relacioned things, is possibly named after him.
- Some myths say that he and Hemera are the parents of the Nephelae and of the others sky or wind nymphs and creatures, like birds and aurae.