The Amazons are a tribe of female warriors who worship war gods and goddesses such as Ares, Athena, Artemis, or Bellona. They are similar to the Hunters of Artemis, except they are allowed to have relationships with men.
The Amazons existed for thousands of years as a matriarchal society founded by Otrera, daughter of Ares god of war. The Amazons fought in joint conflicts named the Amazonomachy, against such heroes as Hercules, Theseus, and Bellerophon. During the Trojan War, they fought on as allies of the Trojan king Priam. Thousands of years later, they founded Amazon.com, to act as a front on both the mortal and the immortal world.
According to Queen Hylla, some Amazons choose to join the Hunters of Artemis, seeking eternal life, while some of Artemis' hunters choose to not stay a maiden forever, and become Amazons instead. This could explain the population of the Hunters having diminished greatly overtime to the numbers they were at in The Titan's Curse.
Percy Jackson, Hazel Levesque, and Frank Zhang go to the Amazon's compound/building on a request by Reyna Avila Ramírez-Arellano to find her sister, Hylla Ramírez-Arellano, the current Amazonian queen. They are captured by the Amazons, who are found out to be running Amazon.com. They ship out a variety of goods and objects, both mortal and immortal, such as Kindles, chariots, friendship bracelets, and even pegasi through their networks. Their boyfriends help do the lifting and are forced to wear orange jumpsuits and collars. They also have captured Arion and have him in a cage. Amusingly, the Amazons are found to follow principles of their online store, like one-click ordering becoming the locks open with one click, and some Amazon guards read on small tablets that maybe Amazon Kindles. The Amazons later arrive at Camp Jupiter (after Hylla has defeated Otrera's attempts to reestablish herself as queen) and help the demigods fight the Giant's army. A number of Amazons, including Queen Hylla, attended the Feast of Fortuna after the battle.
The Amazons team up with the Hunters of Artemis to fend off monsters while the Greek and Roman demigods are preparing for war. They take a combined stand against Orion in San Juan with both groups suffering casualties.
List of Amazons
- Otrera - Founder and first queen of the Amazons.
- Hippolyta - Another queen of the Amazons, daughter of Ares and Otrera, elder sister of Penthesilea and mother of Hippolytus through Theseus.
- Penthesilea - Another queen of the Amazons, daughter of Ares and Otrera. She fought on the side of the Trojans during the Trojan War, but was slain by Achilles.
- Hylla - The current queen of the Amazons, daughter of Bellona, and Reyna's older sister.
- Kinzie - An Amazonian woman, the daughter of a nymph, who is close with Hylla also a receptionist at the warehouse for Amazon.com, but was slain by Orion while working with the Hunters of Artemis during the Second Giant War.
- Lulu - One of the guards that was guarding Frank and Percy. Loyal to Otrera.
- Doris - One of the guards that was guarding Frank and Percy. Loyal to Otrera.
- Klimene - She is only mentioned in mythology.
- Unnamed daughters of Hecate
- The Amazons were said to have lived in the region of Pontus, in northeastern Anatolia, near the southern shore of the Black Sea. Themiscyra, their capital city, lay near the mouth of the river Thermodon.
- Modern historians tie these stories to the Scythian peoples of the Eurasian Steppe, which had both male and female warriors and a fairly egalitarian society.
- There is an internet shopping website that is very popular and has the same name of these female warriors: Amazon.com. According to Rick Riordan in The Son of Neptune, the website Amazon.com is run by the Amazons.
- The Amazonian rainforest is named after them.
- The Amazon River is named after them as well.
- As revealed in Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, Ares is the Amazons' most worshiped Olympian god, since the greatest Amazon warriors were always his demigod daughters.
- In William Shakespeare's play, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Queen Hippolyta is featured as the fiancé of Theseus, son of Poseidon and king of Athens. In the series, though, she is not married, though she has a son Hippolytus with Theseus.
- In DC Comics, the hero 'Wonder Woman' is a part of the Amazons. She is the daughter of Queen Hippolyta and Zeus.