|Not part of Riordanverse|
| Spoiler Alert!
Warning! This page contains spoilers for Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes.
|“||Lightning bolts are much heavier than they look.||”|
Arundhati "Aru" Shah is a character that features in the novel Aru Shah and the End of Time, Aru Shah and the Song of Death, and Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes written by Roshani Chokshi and edited by Rick Riordan. She is the reincarnation of Arjuna.
After being called a liar by her classmates, Aru Shah lights the lamp of Bharata to convince them that she isn't. Lighting the lamp releases a monster known as the Sleeper. Once the Sleeper leaves, Aru finds that everyone around her has been frozen in time and that only she can move. She runs to find her mother, only to find that she's been frozen as well. She goes back to the lobby of the museum, where the stone statue of an elephant starts to move and 'speak', a voice booming from inside. The stone elephant's mouth opens, and Boo flies out, revealing himself as the source of the noise. Boo asking where the Pandava brother, only one of Pandava brothers could light the lamp. And when Aru says it was her who lit the lamp, Boo stated they might as well let the world end. She then finds her soul sister and soul father and embarks on an extraordinary journey through Hindu Mythology.
Aru Shah hid under a table with Mini when the Night Bazaar was attacked by zombies. When they were found she launched Vajra, which she was having trouble using, at them and chased a thief, another one of her Pandava sisters. Boo saves the two girls after they got surrounded, but when they arrived at the arena, Aru found thief fighting over a bow and arrow with a girl that looked exactly like her.
Aru Shah is short-ish, lean and medium-skinned.
Abilities and Tools
- Pandava Mind Link: She shares a telepathic mind link with her other Pandava siblings. Originally, she could only communicate with Mini, however, since meeting Brynne, she is now able to connect with her too.
- Water-Induced Abilities: Due to Uloopi's relationship with her previous incarnation, Arjuna, the queen has granted her water-induced abilities.
- Underwater breathing: Aru can breathe underwater.
- Zoolingualism (limited to Marine Life): She can understand and talk to marine animals like fish.
- Vajra: It is her main weapon, a lightning bolt from her spiritual father, Indra. She wields it in battle in a wide variety of ways, Vajra having the ability to transform into other lightning-based forms. When she is not using it, she turns it into a bracelet. The bolt always returns to her hand except through divine interference. Celestial weapons can’t fight other celestial weapons.
- Board: She can turn it into a long hover board that multiple people can stand on.
- Javelin: She can throw it like a javelin at her targets.
- Net: She can turn it into a meshing net and use it to capture enemies.
- Light Emission: She can use the ball form of Vajra to emit a bright light to help her see in the dark and stun her enemies.
- Rope: She can turn it into a lightning rope and bind and enemies hands and feet.
- Sword: he can turn it into a lightning sword to fight off enemies with.
- Aru's name derives from the Sanskrit word aru (अरु), meaning sun. Her surname is derived from the Sanskrit word sadhu (साधु), meaning saint.
- This is ironic, considering the fact that Arjuna's - whose reincarnation is Aru - main rival in the Mahabharata was Karna, who was the son of the Sun God, Surya. Karna is the secret Pandava, the eldest of the Pandava brothers.
- According to an interview on ReadRiordan, Aru has called Mini "the strangest best friend and sister I definitely did not ask for."
- Aru is the first protagonist of a Rick Riordan Presents book.
- Her favorite color is green.
- Her favorite dessert is tiramisu.
- Her favorite superhero is Spider-Man.
- According to Aru Shah and the Song of Death, her birthday is February 15.
- She also loves movies, quoting and referencing them many times, such as her telling The Sleeper to not say he's Inevitable, as that is Thanos' line. She also references movies such as LotR, Harry Potter, etc.
- Her name is the same as the sage Vashista's wife -Arundhati. Vashishta was the priest and preceptor of the Ikshvaku Clan ,the clan of Lord Rama.