|“||You say you need a navigator. You need my permission. I say you need neither. It is time to choose a direction. A wind that blows aimlessly is of no use to anyone.||”|
Auster was the wet, storm bringing wind of late summer and early autumn. Auster dwelt in Aithiopia, the southernmost realm in the geography of myth.
Jason Grace has had daily audiences with Auster, the Roman god of the south wind, in connection with the crew requesting being able to proceed on their way to Epirus. Auster is naturally fickle and lazy, but yet seems increasingly disinclined to cooperate with Jason. Meanwhile, Jason has been thinking that he misses Camp Half-Blood and that he never really fit in at the more formal, traditional, even conservative Camp Jupiter, and that he may have been changed irrevocably by his time at Camp Half-Blood. When Auster finally agrees to meet with him, Jason accepts this, and Auster changes to his Greek counterpart Notus and decides to send Argo II on their way.
|“||You know, people accuse me of being fickle. Some days I am the scorching wind, the destroyer of crops, the sirocco of Africa! Other days I am gentle, heralding the warm summer rains and cooling fogs of the southern Mediterranean. And in the off-season, I have a lovely place in Cancun! At any rate, in ancient times, mortals both feared me and loved me. For a god, unpredictability can be a strength.||”|
–Auster, in The House of Hades
His beard was made out of clouds constantly popping with lightning and raining down his chest soaking his sand colored toga. He had shaggy white hair wreathed with a crown of steam.
Notus, his Greek counterpart, is a fiery, hot-headed god. While quick to anger, Notus is more meticulous than his Roman counterpart.
- It is presumed that he has the standard powers of a god.
- Aerokinesis: As the God of the South Wind, Auster has divine authority and absolute control over the air, though not as much as Aeolus and Jupiter. His jurisdiction over this province enables him to access abilities such as:
- Flight: He is able to fly by riding air currents.
- Wind Control/Generation: Auster is able to generate and control wind.
- Speed: He is able to move at incredible speeds that are even faster than a god's teleportation.
- Pyrokinesis: Zethes thinks that Leo is one of his demigods because "he smells like fire", which means Auster probably has some influence over fire and heat, opposite to his brother Aquillon/Boreas.
- Thermokinesis (heat): As the God of Summer, and also hinted for having some power over heat, Auster possibly has control over heat.
- Venti Lordship: As one of the Anemoi, he has venti at his command.
- Seasons Alteration (Summer): as the god of Summer, it is more than likely that Auster has some kind of power over the season and things associated with it.
- Atmokinesis: As the god of the south wind, Auster was known for bringing summer storms so it is likely that the god has some control over storms.
- In The House of Hades, Auster refers to Aquilon in his Greek form, Boreas, not his Roman form, which is the form he would've known him as.
- The country Australia derived its name from Auster.