|Not part of Riordanverse|
| Spoiler Alert!
Warning! This page contains spoilers for Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes.
|“||If I want something good, I will always have to make it myself.||”|
–Brynne to her in Aru Shah and the Song of Death
Brynne Rao was born to an Asura and a Mortal. She lives with two uncles, who are a couple, but never met her dad. Her estranged mother, Anila, said he was a musician but she doesn't visit her daughter often.
One Autumn day, Brynne Rao saw a car heading straight for one of her uncles and pushed it out of the way. The second she did it, she felt wind rushing through her blood. Her uncles told her that the soul of Bhima, the second eldest of the Pandavas, has awoken in her. They thought she was going to be summoned to go on the quest to stop the Sleeper but no one came to get her. About a couple weeks later, she found a glowing golden bow and arrow on the sidewalk. Unknown to her, it actually belonged to the god of love, Kamadeva.
Brynne was seen turning into a wolf carrying the bow and arrow. She turns back into her human form, sniffs the air, then turns into a bird and flies away. She was witnessed by Aru Shah and Mini who surprised the find out from Boo that she was their sister.
Brynne Rao appeared as a wolf in the Night Bazaar. She ran towards the stadium while Aru and Mini gave chase. Once she got there, Brynne ran into the true thief of the bow and arrow who took the form of Aru Shah. She tried to fight the thief by turning into a blue jaguar but she was thrown against the wall. Aru and Mini stepped in and Fake Aru fled with the bow and arrow. They are allowed to prove their innocence by retrieving Kamadeva's bow and arrow in ten days. So, Aru and Mini, along with Brynne and Aiden Acharya (Who she coincidentally happens to know very well) must journey through the Naga Realm and retrieve the God of Love's bow or be banished from the Otherworld forever.
Fourteen-year-old Brynne Rao and her friends are sent on a mission to rescue two "targets," one of whom is about to utter a prophecy that could mean the difference between victory and defeat. Turns out the targets, a pair of twins, are the newest Pandava sisters, though the prophecy says that one sister is not true. When the Pandavas fail to prevent the prophecy from reaching the Sleeper's ears, the heavenly attendants ask them to step aside. But, instead of stepping aside, Aru, Mini, Brynne, Aiden, and Rudy go on an unofficial quest to find the real Kalpavriksha (a tree that can grant wishes) as according to Sheela's prophecy. At the end of the book, Brynne is separated from her sister Aru when the latter is taken by the Sleeper.
Brynne is an extremely tall half-Indian, half-Irish girl with chestnut skin and long brown hair that had golden highlights in it at the beginning of Aru Shah and the End of Time. She has long, thick, and sturdy limbs that are covered in metal bracelets made of melted down trophies. “Angry” is her usual expression.
Nikita gifts her a blue jacket than can double as a parachute in Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes.
Brynne is a very determined and headstrong person, who will do anything to achieve her goals. She is also quite impulsive and rushes into battle without giving anything a second thought. She cares fiercely for her friends and does anything to keep them safe.
Despite her rash and kinda nasty attitude, Brynne is actually really insecure. She is insecure about her asura heritage and about being a hero, which is why she’s so headstrong; she desperately wants to prove herself to others and even herself.
Abilities and Tools
- Enhanced Strength: As the reincarnation of Bhima, she is far stronger than a normal person. She can easily lift and carry people her size and stop a moving car in its tracks.
- Internal Compass: As daughter of the god of wind, she always knows what direction she is facing. She also knows how to find her way to places.
- Pandava Mind Link: She can communicate telepathically with other pandavas. While she initially did not let the others in, she ended up forging a relationship with her siblings and allowed them to communicate with her.
- Shapeshifting: With her Asura blood, she can transform into blue forms of animals.
- Bird: She can turn into a small bird to fly away. She used this form while trying look for the owner of the bow and arrow of Kamadeva.
- Elephant: She can turn into a blue elephant to charge large enemies.
- Jaguar: She can transform into a jaguar to attack enemies.
- Swan: She can turn into a swan to fly away. She used this form while trying to distract Kamadeva's guard swan.
- Wolf: She can turn into a giant wolf capable of carrying a bow and arrows in her mouth. This is the form her siblings first saw her in.
- Super Eating: Similar to Bhima, she has what has been referred to as an “iron gullet.” She is capable of eating an excessive amount of food, far more than the normal human can handle. She can even keep up with the god Agni for quite some time, whose hunger is said to be near insatiable. Even after being full enough to throw up, she quickly rebounds in a few minutes and asks for more food.
- Mace of Vayu: Brynne wields the celestial mace of Vayu, god of wind and her spiritual father, in battle. With it, she is able to manipulate wind currents. It take the form of a blue choker when not in use.
- Fire Generation: From Agni, her mace was enchanted to be able to create flames. We have not seen much of her using this ability yet...
- Wind Manipulation: The main ability of her mace, she is can generate wind currents capable of throwing people far enough into the air that people below look like ants. She can also manipulate air currently existing air currents. She uses her mace to blow enemies and objects away. While underwater, the mace creates bubbles instead.
- Brynne wears gold bangles on her arms made of her melted- down trophies, to prove to herself and the world how worthy she is. Aru thought of this as vain at first, but eventually grew sympathetic when she learned more about her sister.
- Brynne is shown to be bisexual, first seen as when the Pandavas talk about how they don't like Aiden romantically (With the almost exception of Aru). Brynne talks about how she "prefers boys who can beat me in a wrestling contest," Aka not Aiden, before adding, "Or girls."
- Aru Shah and the Song of Death, Ch. 5