|“||Keeping Young Heroes Safe from Harm (Mostly) For Over Three Millennia!||”|
Camp Half-Blood is a Greek demigod training facility located on the north shore of Long Island. The camp is directed by the god Dionysus, who the campers call "Mr. D," and Chiron, a Centaur who is the activities director. It is also the Greek counterpart of Camp Jupiter, a Roman camp in San Francisco, California.
The camp has magical borders which are enforced by the Golden Fleece, retrieved by the satyr Grover Underwood, the Cyclops Tyson, and demigods Percy Jackson, Clarisse La Rue, and Annabeth Chase. Stolen from Polyphemus' island, it was placed on Thalia's pine tree, ensuring that no monster could get into camp. The Fleece stays on the tree, guarded by the dragon Peleus, its magical powers protecting the camp from monsters and invaders.
The camp is described as being the only safe place for half-bloods, although in The Heroes of Olympus series it is revealed that there is a similar camp for Roman demigods – Camp Jupiter, located in San Francisco.
The half-bloods live in cabins (one for each of the twelve Olympians; later, many more cabins were added for minor gods and goddesses after Percy's request in The Last Olympian), and eat at the dining pavilion. There is also an archery field, a sword fighting arena, a climbing wall with lava for training, an amphitheater, stables, an armory, and the Big House.
Camp Half-Blood, Half-Blood Hill, Farm Road 3.141
Long Island, New York 11954
The camp is in Montauk, at the end of Long Island. Percy, his mother Sally Jackson, and Grover drive from their cabin at the beach in Montauk. It does not take them very long to get to camp. Besides, the two Jacksons frequently go on vacation to Montauk, where Sally and Poseidon met. However, the Camp is located on the North Shore of Long Island, referenced many times in the books, while Montauk is located on the South Shore. This makes the camp's true location uncertain. Percy says that the part of Long Island beach connecting to the camp is invisible to mortals, except for the ones who can see through the mist. Monsters and mortals can't enter, unless permitted from the inside. The address, 3.141, is believed to have originated from the number pi, which is named after the Greek letter.
The first six students were brought to Chiron to train by Apollo back in Ancient Greece. Their names were Aeneas, who fought for Troy in the Trojan War, the first Jason, who captained the Argo, Achilles, who was dipped in the Styx, Atalanta, who was a renowned Huntress, Asclepius, Apollo's son, who went on to become the immortal god of medicine, and the first Perseus, who would kill Medusa. According to various camp members, the camp has trained some very famous figures since then, including a few United States Presidents like George Washington, son of Athena. Camp Half-Blood started out in Ancient Greece at the foot of Mount Pelion, which was Chiron's home. As it grew in size, he had to move to the base of Mount Olympus, and one day Apollo showed up with a horde of satyrs to help demigods find their way to the training camp. Through the ages, Camp Half-Blood has moved with the gods and the core of Western Civilization. It is a sanctuary for demigods, but before there were magical borders, things were a lot more dangerous. One night in Ancient Greece, a massive monster army stormed the camp, which was almost wiped from history that day. The next morning, the gods granted Camp Half-Blood magical borders that have stayed there ever since. Five years before Percy arrived at the camp, Thalia Grace, daughter of Zeus, came close to dying on the border, willing to sacrifice herself to allow her friends, Annabeth, Luke Castellan and Grover, to reach the safety of the camp. In her dying moments, her father Zeus took pity on her and turned her into a pine tree, sustaining her life-force within it. Her tree's position on the border enabled her spirit to strengthen the borders of the camp. She later returned to human form and joined the Hunters of Artemis. It is also mentioned in The Demigod Files that before the camp had magical borders, it was guarded by the Bronze Dragon about 15 years before it became defective and disappeared into the woods. It is said that the bronze dragon was an offering of the Hephaestus cabin to their father, and that it protected the camp for approximately a decade before getting lost.
Percy, Annabeth and Grover set off to the west coast to recover Zeus' main weapon, the master bolt, before the summer solstice, or else Zeus and Poseidon, Percy's father, would go to war. In the end, however, Percy manages to return the bolt to its owner, and returns to camp as a hero, much to the delight of other campers. However, after awarding Percy his first camper bead, Luke betrays everyone by revealing himself to have joined Kronos, the Titan Lord of Time and stolen the bolt, and attempts to poison Percy with a pit scorpion. Percy survives the encounter, collapsing after the Arachnid manages to give him a sting on his hand before he kills it, being saved by Annabeth and Chiron and returning home for the rest of the year, but not before Luke manages to escape and join his new master's remains.
A quest to retrieve the Golden Fleece is given to Clarisse after Thalia's tree had been poisoned by Luke using elder python poison from the depths of Tartarus, which weakens the camp borders allowing monsters to have access to the camp putting all the demigods in danger. Annabeth, Percy and his Cyclops brother Tyson, not being invited, sneak off to join the quest because they fear that Clarisse would fail, teaming up with an initially obstinate and reluctant Clarisse and rescue both the fleece and Grover from Polyphemus, completely blinding him but who however celebrates on sinking their ship, and being rescued from Luke by Chiron and his Centaur relatives. The Fleece, which can make any land a paradise, heals Thalia's tree from near-death within a few minutes and, by the end of the night, separates Thalia's physical body from the tree.
Afterwards, it continues to maintain the borders at their usual strength, even without Thalia's spirit.
Grover finds a pair of powerful demigods, Nico and Bianca di Angelo, whom are guarded by a fierce monster called a manticore at Westover Hall. Percy, Thalia, and Annabeth go to the demigods rescue. The group meet the Hunters, immortal maidens under Artemis's command, near the school. After a fight with the monster, during which Annabeth is kidnapped, the Hunters set up camp and Artemis asks for Bianca to join the Hunters, and she accepts. Camp Half-Blood is visited for a short time after Artemis has ordered her hunters to return to camp while she went on looking for a monster that the Titan army planned on using against the Olympians. Being an old tradition, the campers face the Hunters in a game of Capture the Flag, and are defeated for the 56th straight time, much to their and Chiron's dismay. While Percy and Thalia blame each other for the loss and get into a small fight, their quick fight ends when the Oracle appears and gives Zoë Nightshade, the lieutenant of the Hunters, a quest. Zoë begins to form a team for the quest, which excludes Percy, as she does not want any males on the team. That night, however, the Stoll brothers give one of the hunters that was meant to go on the quest a poisoned t-shirt as a prank, making her unable to join the quest. Nico, worried for his sister, asks Percy to follow them and make sure she stayed safe, which Percy promises to do to the best of his ability.
Percy and the surviving quest members eventually return to the camp, where Percy is left with the unfortunate task of telling Nico that his sister had passed away while saving the others during the quest. However, Skeleton Warriors manage to sneak inside the borders of the camp and attack the two. Nico then opens up the earth, which swallows the warriors into the Underworld, revealing himself and Bianca to be children of Hades and then runs away from the camp shouting that he hates Percy for lying to him and letting his sister die despite her dying a heroic death and saving the other members of the quest.
Percy arrives at camp to find out that it has hired a new sword instructor named Quintus, who also has a pet hellhound named Mrs. O'Leary. During a new game that Quintus had invented, he sends several groups of two demigods each into the camp's woods to find a gold laurel, which is tied to one of six monsters in the woods. During the game, Percy and Annabeth find an entrance to the Labyrinth in between rocks in Zeus' Fist. Annabeth realizes that this passage can be used by the Titan Army to get past the camp's borders and attack from within. Annabeth leads a quest from the camp the next morning with Percy, Tyson, and Grover.
After Percy blows up Mount Saint Helens while running an errand for Hephaestus, whose forge was captured by telekhines, Annabeth eventually returns to camp to break the bad news to everyone, and the camp holds a funeral for Percy, who coincidentally arrives during the ceremony. Percy and Annabeth return to the Labyrinth with the aid of Rachel Elizabeth Dare, while Camp Half-Blood prepares for the arrival of the Titan Army. Percy and Annabeth return to camp after Quintus, showing himself to actually be Daedalus refuses to help for a little while after switching sides from the Titans and they prepare for battle along with a reconciled Nico, giving the news to the camp of the resurrection of Kronos in Luke's body with Ethan Nakamura's allegiance and that Pan has died, passing on his spirit to all present at his deathbed and erging them to unite as one and protect the world. Monsters begin to pour out of the entrance, and with the arrival of Kampê on the battlefield, the demigod forces begin to lose the battle. The tide turns again, however, when Briares and Daedalus return with Mrs. O'Leary and crush Kampê with a pile of rocks,while Grover scares the army back into the labyrinth. Daedalus then sacrifices his life to destroy the entrance to the labyrinth at Camp Half-Blood and the labyrinth itself, entrusting Mrs. O'Leary to Percy and a laptop with details of all his inventions to Annabeth.
Percy first arrives at camp after successfully destroying Princess Andromeda, but at the cost of Charles Beckendorf's death. Chiron welcomes Percy back, but explains that the gods are currently away from Olympus, as Typhon had managed to break free from his prison after Percy exploded Mt. Saint Helens. Percy realizes that the monster was a distraction to keep the gods away from Olympus, and that Kronos' main army would be attacking Olympus directly while the gods were away destroying Olympus easily. Nico also appears at camp to ask Percy if he had made a decision about his plan to bathe in the River Styx. Percy agrees to do it, and the two leave camp to go to the Underworld after Percy receives a customary blessing from his mother. Hades captures him however, but Nico frees him and Percy bathes at the River Styx. With the help of the blessing, Percy later defeats Hades and travels back too Manhattan. Percy later informs the camp about his plan and the attack on Manhattan, asking them all to come.
After the battle, with the demigods emerging victorious due to Luke sacrificing himself to stop Kronos' rise, everyone returns to camp in celebration. Percy and Annabeth celebrate his birthday and officially become a couple in the mess hall after sharing their first real kiss. Several campers see this and immediately pick the two up, and toss them in the lake. Percy, however, creates an air bubble under the water, allowing the two to kiss again. After the end of summer, Percy leaves camp with his parents and runs down Half-Blood Hill with Annabeth.
Jason Grace, Leo Valdez, and Piper McLean are taken back to Camp Half-Blood by Annabeth and Butch after they are attacked by venti disguised as humans at Grand Canyon and Leo gets claimed by Hephaestus straight away. Annabeth gives Piper a tour of the camp and finds her a weapon. That night at the campfire, Piper is claimed by Aphrodite, while Jason shows off his abilities to control lightning showing that he has been claimed by Zeus/Jupiter. The Oracle also shares a prophecy with the rest of the camp, but it is specifically directed at Jason. In order to be allowed to go on the quest, Leo goes into the woods and finds the Bronze Dragon, which leads him back to Bunker 9, where Leo spends all night adding wings to the dragon. The next morning, Leo uses the dragon to take Piper and Jason on their quest.
After the quest, the trio returns to the camp. Leo and Piper become the heads of their cabins, and Leo shows everyone the existence Bunker 9. Chiron, once shown to the bunker, tells the other campers that the bunker was once used ages ago during the American Civil War - which he states was just as disastrous for demigods as it was for mortals - when the Greek and Roman demigods fought one another.
The camp is shown in dreams Percy had, showing the campers working on the Argo II.
While Camp Half-Blood is not shown, Leo Valdez is said to have installed monitors on board the Argo II that have real time video of the camp. Later, after Leo had accidentally attacked Camp Jupiter and the seven of the prophecy are on board the Argo II, he wonders if it was a good idea to have installed the monitors. Leo wonders if they made the Greek demigods homesick after seeing Percy looking at one for a long time, gazing at the sunset over Half-Blood Hill. He also wonders if Camp Half-Blood seemed strange to the Roman demigods, as it was very different from Camp Jupiter.
As the Romans and the Greeks fight because of the actions of the eidolons, Annabeth runs into Reyna Avila Ramírez-Arellano, who tells her that if she returned to Camp Jupiter and faced trial, which would result in her execution, there could possibly be some kind of peace. However, if she continued to Rome, the Romans would find and wage war against Camp Half-Blood. Annabeth goes off to Rome, asking Reyna to at least slow the Legion down.
The Romans have set up base camp outside the camp grounds and wait for the first of August to strike. Three campers, Will Solace, Lou Ellen, and Cecil try to sabotage the Roman's onagers but they are spotted despite the fifth and fourth cohorts causing a disruption throughout the rest of the ranks. The Greek camp and its allies prepares for battle when Reyna returns the Athena Parthenos. Gaea then wakes and attacks the two sides. They join forces to fight off the monsters and rescue the trapped cohorts. When the seven arrive they join the fight and stop the earth mother. When the battle is over a funeral is held for the Greeks and Romans who died in the fight. In the days that follow the two sides get along and form an alliance.
Sadie Kane mentions magic in Long Island, indicating Camp-Half Blood.
When Annabeth runs into her cousin Magnus Chase and the latter claims that someone is after him and that he needs to keep a low profile, she tells him she "knows a safe place (indicating the camp)" if he needs somewhere to stay. Magnus, however, declines and tells her that he'll let her know everything one day.
Camp Half-Blood is the primary setting of the book. Apollo arrives at camp with Meg McCaffrey where they learn campers have gone missing. A few days later it was discovered that Nero has been kidnapping the campers and threatened to kill them if Apollo did not help Meg open the gates to the Grove of Dodona. When Nero's hostages are freed they fly back to camp to defend it from Nero's automation.
The East and the West
According to Chiron, the Greek desecration of Troy was what split demigods apart in the first place. Aeneas, the first Roman demigod and son of Venus/Aphrodite, was the last surviving prince of Troy. He fled to Italy, where the Latins (the ancestors of the Romans) lived. Aeneas was the first Roman demigod, and he was soon followed by many others. These Romans later lived in the West of North America, reputedly in the Bay Area of California. Later on, during the 1860s, the Romans, living in the Bay Area, fought with the Greeks, who were, even then, living at the camp. This was the deadliest conflict between the Greeks and the Romans, mirroring the American Civil War, although many other wars took place between the two sides.
The following winter after the events of The Last Olympian, new demigods show up at Camp Half-Blood. During a field trip for a juvenile detention facility, the "Wilderness School", three storm spirits attack a satyr protector, Gleeson Hedge, and three demigods. Annabeth Chase, a prominent camper at the camp, along with Butch rescue these three demigods. One is revealed to be the son of Hephaestus, Leo Valdez, and another is revealed to be the daughter of Aphrodite, Piper McLean. However, it is the revelation of the third demigods identity that shocks everyone the most: the new demigod, a son of Jupiter named Jason Grace, is the brother of Thalia Grace. However, he keeps calling the gods by their Roman names. He is given a quest, along with Leo and Piper to save Hera, who has been trapped by the giants. After the quest in The Lost Hero, the Roman camp's existence is discovered by the Greeks because of Jason, and these two camps will have to unite to fight the Giants, Gaea's most terrible children, who threaten the very roots of Western Civilization itself, Greece.
According to Apollo, each cabin has around six bunk beds each, allowing each cabin to house twelve campers. There were originally twelve cabins (all the Olympian gods except for Hades and minor gods) but after the Second Titan War, Percy made the gods promise to claim all their children and for the minor gods to have more respect, so now there are twenty cabins in total, one honoring each god or goddess (Minors included). Some of the cabins include Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Dionysus, Hermes, Ares, Athena, Apollo, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, and Artemis (Though it is only used when the Hunters come to camp), the cabins of Hades, Iris, Hypnos, Nemesis, Nike, Hebe, Tyche, and Hecate being the latest additions. This makes in total twenty cabins. It is also thought that more cabins and shrines are to be added.
Hera's cabin is an honorary one as a courtesy to Hera, as she's the queen of the gods, even if she has no demigod offspring. Artemis' cabin is also honorary because she is one of the maiden/virgin goddesses, but does sometimes play host to her Huntresses. The cabins honoring Zeus and Poseidon are supposed to be empty, but Percy Jackson and his Cyclops half-brother Tyson (occasionally) occupy Poseidon's cabin, and Thalia Grace used to occupy Zeus' cabin, before she joined Artemis' Hunters to prevent her from being the child of the prophecy, and Jason Grace now occupies the cabin until he gets back to his rightful home. There is no temple to Hades, as he is not an Olympian God, as with Hestia, who has her own hearth.
After The Last Olympian, the layout of the cabins changed dramatically, due to the deal Percy made with the gods
. Now, each minor god and Hades (fortunate for Nico di Angelo) have their own cabins which means that the number of campers will double or triple, to Mr. D's dismay (luckily, by this time, Zeus cut his remaining time to 50 years instead of 100.) Also, now the gods are obligated to claim their demigod children by age 13. This will make for a much less crowded Hermes cabin. It is presumed that they are still making cabins. The cabins are now placed in the shape of a Greek Omega (the last letter of the Classic Greek alphabet: Ω).
By the end of The Blood of Olympus, Jason started planning to give the remaining gods cabins.
- Main article: The Big House
Oracle into her own body and told many prophecies starting in the Heroes of Olympus series. It also is the main meeting place for the leaders of the cabins for major problems and ideas before any quests. Dionysus and Chiron enjoy playing pinochle on the front porch, the greatest game invented by man (along with Pac-Man and gladiator fighting) according to Dionysus.
- Main article: Dining Pavilion
|“||We still have to eat, don't we?"||”|
The dining pavilion is where the campers eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The food served is a diet primary of grapes, cheese, bread, and extra lean, nymph-cut barbecue and you can ask whatever you want to drink (although Coke does not have the same flavor). Each cabin has their own tables and campers are not allowed to sit at a table that is not their cabin's (Annabeth Chase broke this rule to speak with Percy in The Battle of the Labyrinth only while talking about the quest.) The tables are covered with a white tablecloth fringed with purple. At the center of the pavilion is the bonfire. It is lit during the dinners. At the beginning of each meal, each cabin takes turns going up to the fire and dropping in a share of their best food as an offering for the gods (because the gods like the smell). Hestia, goddess of the hearth, gets a portion of each offering.
The amphitheater has rising tiers of stone benches that curve around the central stage. The benches are as comfortable as move-theater chairs.
- Main article: Camp Store
The camp store sells Camp Half-Blood t-shirts, toothbrushes, windchimes - available in Celestial bronze, silver, and seashells that can interpret the voices of prophecy-sprouting trees, packs of Mythomagic cards, and tote bags.
The Grove of Dodona is a grove of sacred oak trees that can actually speak and sometimes even issued prophecies.
The cave of the Oracle is where the current oracle Rachel Elizabeth Dare resides. The cave walls has paintings of her visions to get a better understanding of them. Outside the cave, there are two torches with a purple curtain covering the entire cave, thereby granting privacy to the person inside. The cave has massive sofas and throw pillows.
The camp borders are designed to keep mortals, monsters, bad weather and many other things out of the camp. Only campers, satyrs, gods, some mortals (such as May Castellan and Rachel Elizabeth Dare in The Last Olympian) and monsters who were given the permission by a camper (as Annabeth Chase did to Tyson) may enter through the border (as Grover once told Percy people let monsters in as 'practical jokes' much to Percy's shock). Once, the border was protected by many things, the most notable being a strong copper dragon. In modern times, it is passively — but effectively — defended by the magical barrier generated by Thalia's tree, created by her dad, Zeus, in her dying moments as he took pity on her.
In The Sea of Monsters, Thalia's Tree was poisoned by Luke Castellan with elder python venom from the pit of Tartarus. As the tree weakened, so did the strength of the borders. Percy managed to rescue Grover as well as steal the Fleece from Polyphemus the Cyclops. The Fleece healed Thalia's tree and restored Thalia to her original body while leaving the tree in place. The Fleece is guarded by the dragon Peleus.
During The Demigod Files, which took place about a few weeks after the Battle of the Labyrinth took place, Percy Jackson, Annabeth Chase, Charles Beckendorf, and Silena Beauregard found the Myrmekes - ancient Greek ants the size of a terrier carrying the head of mechanical bronze dragon. The marks of the head digging on the ground revealed a massive crater with the neck of the bronze dragon. Annabeth reattached the dragon's head and led the dragon to help rescue Beckendorf, who was captured by the ants. The dragon then went berserk and Beckendorf worked with Percy to shut it down. Then it was fixed by Leo Valdez in The Lost Hero and used on the quest to rescue Hera from Porphyrion, although it was destroyed at the home of King Midas and the remaining parts were taken back to Bunker 9.
Years ago when Annabeth, Thalia, and Luke were attempting to make it across the border to Camp Half-Blood (while being pursued by monsters) Thalia made her last stand which allowed Annabeth and Luke to cross over. As Thalia lay dying, her father Zeus transformed her into a pine tree which acted as a border between the camp and monsters. In events prior to The Sea of Monsters, Luke poisoned the tree with venom from the Elder Python weakening the barriers. In order to heal the tree a quest was called for to recover the Golden Fleece. The Fleece worked so well that it healed Thalia herself bringing her back into a demigod form. The tree now serves no actual purpose except as a monument to Thalia it is the Fleece that keeps the barrier working.
- Main article: Athena Parthenos
During the Second Demigod Civil War, Roman Demigod Reyna Ramírez-Arellano brought the Athena Parthenos to Camp Half-Blood, along with Gleeson Hedge and Nico di Angelo, in order to heal the rift between Roman and Greek Demigods and heal the split personalities of the Gods.
- Main article: Armory
|“||Inside was not gardening tools, unless you want to make war on your tomato plants.||”|
–Piper, talking about the armory
This is where the campers get their weapons. It is a big metal shed around the side of Athena's cabin. In The Lost Hero, Annabeth helped Piper choose her weapon, which is later a dagger named Katoptris, there. It has quite a large collection of swords, spears, clubs and even shotguns. Every camper gets a weapon, but the Hephaestus' cabin makes their own. The armory is confused as the camp forge.
- Main article: Climbing Wall
The lava wall, a climbing wall, is said to pour lava out for an “extra challenge”. If the camper does not get to the top quickly the walls clash together and the camper's clothes are soaked with lava (actually torn to only threads).
The Sword Fighting Area is where campers go to duel and practice with different weapons of their choice. It is between the cabins and the Armory. There are straw dummies in Greek armor scattered around the room and training swords.
The Archery Field is where Archery classes are taught.
The Volleyball Court is the court the demigods go to play volleyball. Not much is said about it, though in Camp Half-Blood Confidential, Holly and Laurel Victor "run it".
|“||It was like a steam-powered locomotive had smashed into the Greek Parthenon and they had fused together.||”|
–Leo Valdez, talking about the forge
There are skeins of naturally dyed yarn, easels with stretched canvases, blocks of marble and clay, and all the tools and paints demigods could ask for. The Arts and Crafts Center is the favorite place of Athena's children who could sculpt, paint, weave, and do ceramics, but it is open to everyone to embrace their artistic side.
- Main article: Bunker 9
Bunker Nine was created by the children of Hephaestus. It was also the location where the flying ship Argo II was built. It can only be opened by fire. The first person to discover its location in a long time was Leo Valdez. One of the things currently housed in it is the remains of James Dean's Porsche 550 Spyder
Grove of the Council of Cloven Elders
The Grove of the Council of Cloven Elders is where the Council of Cloven Elders meet.
|“||Meh, the stables. You see Chiron staying in the stables?"||”|
- Main article: Ant Hill
The Myrmeke Hill is at first thought to be a myth, until Percy, Annabeth Chase, Silena, and Charles Beckendorf found it. Beckendorf was captured by myrmekes and Percy, Annabeth and Silena activated the Bronze Dragon, later named Festus, to rescue him. It is located on the North-West side of the woods. It has many nests down to the Earth's core that are stocked with larva, metal, and lots of armor.
The Geysers are located in the Forest and they are home to two Palikoi (geyser spirits and guardians of sacred oaths), Pete and Paulie.
The Strawberry Fields are where the camp grows strawberries to sell.
- Main article: Camp Half-Blood Forest
The woods are where dryads live and monsters were stocked. It is known as a dangerous place, and no one should ever go there unless they were armed or with a companion. The campers play capture-the-flag in the woods every Friday and sometimes hunt for monsters to fight as training, such as when Quintus brought scorpions from Triple G Ranch. It is often mentioned in Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
The Canoe Lake is where the campers canoe.
Half-Blood Hill is where Thalia's Tree is located. It is also one of the hills surrounding Camp Half-Blood.
Maenad Party Area
The Maenad Party Area is where the Maenads throw parties.
Zeus's Fist is a cluster of rocks that look like Zeus' Fist. In "The Battle of The Labyrinth, Annabeth and Percy inadvertently discover that Zeus' Fist is actually an entrance (or exit depending on how you look at it) into The Labyrinth. The possibility of Luke using this results in a quest. After The Labyrinth was destroyed the cluster still remained though it serves no actual purpose.
Euros Creek is a creek at Camp Half-Blood.
Zephyros Creek is a creek at Camp Half-Blood.
The beach is the sandy coastline located at the camp's northern most border.
The camp has several traditions derived from its Greek roots. Winners and victors are given laurel wreaths and paraded around camp. More poignantly, anytime a camper goes on a quest, their siblings/cabin mates weave them a funeral shroud in case their sibling does not survive — if the camper has no siblings, another cabin may volunteer to do it, should they return victorious, they get to burn the shroud.
But the most prominent tradition is the camp beads. At the end of every summer session, the senior counselors vote on the biggest event of the summer and paint it on the bead:
- The Lightning Thief - A black bead with a green trident. Percy Jackson's first year.
- The Sea of Monsters - A bead symbolizing a little image of the Golden Fleece. Percy's second year.
- The Titan's Curse - There was no bead. The events of this book took place in the same year as The Sea of Monsters, during the winter.
- The Battle of the Labyrinth - An intricately designed maze to represent the Labyrinth. Percy's third year.
- The Last Olympian - The Empire State Building with the names of the deceased in tiny Greek letters around it in a miniature border. Percy's fourth year.
- The Lost Hero - There is no bead. The events of the book take place in the same year as The Last Olympian, only during the winter, just a few months after Percy's birthday (August 18th) at the end of the book.
There are five beads on Annabeth's necklace at the start of The Lightning Thief, from years taking place prior to the books. The ones described are Thalia's tree, a centaur in a prom dress — ("...now that was a weird summer..."), and a Greek trireme on fire. Percy interrupts Annabeth in her explanation so the last two beads are not described. Because Luke arrived the same year as Annabeth, it can be assumed he had the same set.
A game of capture the flag is played every Friday from 6:00 (PM) to 9:00 (PM). The boundary is the creek and often teams use the pile of rocks named 'Zeus' Fist'. Whenever the Hunters of Artemis come to the camp, there is a game of capture the flag and all campers participate in helping out. It is said that even the Aphrodite children go around offering to straighten peoples armor. Normally this cabin would sit on the side lines and cheer. In The Titan's Curse it is stated that the Hunters have won 56 times in a row.
In a deleted scene of The Lightning Thief, Percy is thrown to the lake as a tradition for newcomers. It is done after the Hermes cabin does a chant and "a series of hand-gestures I didn't understand any better than the words" as Percy described them.
- Percy Jackson - Demigod son of Poseidon, dating Annabeth Chase, nicknamed 'Seaweed Brain' by Annabeth.
- Annabeth Chase - Demigod daughter of Athena, dating Percy Jackson, nicknamed 'Wise girl' by Percy, Architect of Olympus.
- Grover Underwood - Satyr, seeker of Pan, Lord of the Wild, and newest member of the Council of Cloven Elders. Dating Juniper Grover is nicknamed Goat-boy by his two best friends, Percy and Annabeth.
- Thalia Grace - Demigod daughter of Zeus; became a Hunter of Artemis after the death of the previous leader, Zoë Nightshade during the events of The Titan's Curse during the winter solstice Olympian Council. She was turned into a pine tree for seven years.
- Rachel Elizabeth Dare - A mortal with the ability to see through the Mist. She became the new Oracle during the events of The Last Olympian.
- Clarisse La Rue - Demigod daughter of Ares and the leader of Ares' Cabin; dating Chris Rodriguez.
- Chris Rodriguez - Demigod Son of Hermes. Clarisse's boyfriend after he had been saved by Dionysus from the Labyrinth when he went mad.
- Nico di Angelo - Demigod son of Hades; younger brother of Bianca di Angelo. Mortal mother: Maria di Angelo (deceased). He is not always at camp. First Greek demigod to visit Camp Jupiter. Dating Will Solace.
- Charles Beckendorf - Demigod son of Hephaestus, former leader of Cabin 9 and boyfriend of Silena Beauregard (deceased).
- Silena Beauregard - Demigod daughter of Aphrodite and girlfriend of Charles Beckendorf. She was also good friends with Clarisse and was one of the best equestrians. She was a spy for Kronos (deceased).
- Jason Grace - Demigod son of Jupiter (Roman name for Zeus); Thalia's younger brother. Most of his memories were stolen by Hera, but he was recovering them gradually. He was actually from camp Jupiter and was dating Piper (deceased).
- Piper McLean - Demigod daughter of Aphrodite. Has the ability to charmspeak. Becomes head of Aphrodite's Cabin at the end of The Lost Hero, taking the place of Drew, the previous cabin leader. Dating Jason.
- Leo Valdez - Demigod son of Hephaestus; he has the power of pyrokinesis (a power not seen for almost a hundred years). At the end of The Lost Hero becomes the head counselor of the Hephaestus cabin which Jake Mason happily handed over. Dating Calypso.
- Connor Stoll - Demigod son of Hermes; younger brother of Travis. Co-head of the Hermes cabin with his brother after Luke's betrayal to the camp.
- Travis Stoll - Demigod son of Hermes; older brother of Connor. Co-head of Hermes cabin with his brother after Luke's betrayal to the camp.
- Katie Gardner - Demigod daughter of Demeter.
- Clovis - Demigod son of Hypnos. and leader of Hypnos' Cabin. He helped Annabeth and Jason retrieve Jason's memory.
- Butch - Demigod son of Iris. He is the camp's best equestrian and has a rainbow tattoo on his arm. Head counselor for Iris' cabin.
- Tyson - Percy's younger brother and Cyclops son of Poseidon; friends with Annabeth, Percy (even though they're brothers), and anyone else except Percy's demigod enemies. Now general of Poseidon's Cyclops army.
- Will Solace - Demigod son of Apollo; current head counselor of the Apollo cabin. Nico di Angelo's boyfriend. Great with healing medicine, especially when Annabeth was wounded in battle by Ethan Nakamura.
- Lee Fletcher - Demigod son of Apollo; former head counselor of Apollo's cabin (deceased).
- Michael Yew - Demigod son of Apollo; former head counselor of Apollo's cabin (presumed deceased).
- Jake Mason - Demigod son of Hephaestus; former head counselor of Hephaestus cabin; gave his position of counselor of Hephaestus cabin to Leo Valdez at the end of The Lost Hero because of his injuries.
- Drew Tanaka - Demigod daughter of Aphrodite; has the ability to charmspeak; second counselor of Aphrodite's cabin after the death of Silena Beauregard. She is forced to resign after being challenge by Piper for head of the cabin.
- Nyssa - Demigod daughter of Hephaestus.
- Pollux - Demigod son of Dionysus. Head counselor of Dionysus' cabin. Twin brother of Castor.
- Castor - Demigod son of Dionysus. Twin brother of Pollux (deceased).
- Lacy - Demigod daughter of Aphrodite.
- Mitchell - Demigod son of Aphrodite.
- Harley - Demigod son of Hephaestus.
- Malcolm Pace - Demigod son of Athena. Co-Cabin Leader to Annabeth.
- Lou Ellen- Demigod daughter of Hecate. Head Counselor of Hecate's Cabin.
- Luke Castellan - Demigod son of Hermes. Luke was the head of Hermes cabin until he deserted camp to join Kronos by the end of The Lightning Thief. He serves as a major antagonist for Percy and his friends during the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Hero of the Great Prophecy (deceased).
- Bianca di angelo - sister of nico. daughter of hades. bianca was a hunter of artemis until a defective talos killed her. she died without a clue about her godly parent (except for the time she completely destroyed a spartus).
- Main article: Head Counselor
The camp has the tradition that the cabin member who has been there the longest becomes counselor. The only ones who can challenge this are cabin members who are older, or have completed the most quests and can challenge the current counselor.
- Cabin 1 (Zeus): N/A
- Cabin 2 (Hera): N/A
- Cabin 3 (Poseidon): Percy Jackson
- Cabin 4 (Demeter): Miranda Gardiner & Katie Gardner
- Cabin 5 (Ares): Sherman Yang
- Cabin 6 (Athena): Annabeth Chase
- Cabin 7 (Apollo): Will Solace
- Cabin 8 (Artemis): Thalia Grace
- Cabin 9 (Hephaestus): Leo Valdez
- Cabin 10 (Aphrodite): Piper McLean
- Cabin 11 (Hermes): Connor & Travis Stoll
- Cabin 12 (Dionysus): Pollux
- Cabin 13 (Hades): Nico di Angelo
- Cabin 14 (Iris): Butch
- Cabin 15 (Hypnos): Clovis
- Cabin 16 (Nemesis): Damien White
- Cabin 17 (Nike): Holly & Laurel Victor
- Cabin 18 (Tyche): Chiara Benvenuti
- Cabin 20 (Hecate): Lou Ellen
Camp Counselors are also know as Head Counselors.
- Dionysus - The Camp Director, who is also known as Mr. D. by the campers. He was punished by Zeus (his father) to operate the camp for 100 years because tried to woo an "off limits" wood nymph. Dionysus was also forbidden to grow his own grapes. It was cut down to 50 years following the Second Olympian War.
- Chiron - Activity Director and centaur. He is also the healer (just like a human doctor).
- Argus - The Security guard at camp. He was created by Hera, as mentioned in The Lost Hero. He is covered with eyes from head to foot. He never speaks, as it is said he has an eye on his tongue. He is the beginning step of every quest as he is the initial driver.
- Harpies - Three Harpies serve as "Cleaner Harpies" who would eat any camper that lingers around after noon on the last day of camp. The Harpies also cleaned the dishes with super-hot lava and are also good in mid-town traffic.
- Tantalus - An ex-staff member of the camp and Percy's most hated person in "The Sea of Monsters." He was put in the Fields of Punishment for killing his son Pelops and serving him as food to the gods. His punishment in the Fields of Punishment was to stand under a fruit tree with low branches in the middle of a lake. When he tried to grab the fruit, the branches pulled away. When he bent down for a drink, the waters receded. He was put in Camp Half-Blood in place of Chiron (who Zeus suspected of being the culprit in the poisoning of Thalia's tree which protects the valley where Camp Half-Blood resides in). When outside of the Fields of Punishment when called to cover for Chiron, the food and drink would always avoid him so he cannot eat or drink. Tantalus was very strict and even restarted the Chariot Races. Tantalus stated that anyone who accidentally killed another camper will not get dessert for a week. His curse of not being able to touch food or drink eventually wore off, but Tantalus was still sent back to the Fields of Punishment (because it was revealed that Luke had poisoned Thalia's tree, not Chiron). No one was sad to see him go.
- Quintus (AKA Daedalus) - Ex-staff member of the camp. Also one of the most clever men ever. He is also a demigod son of Athena who realized what Annabeth said afterwords and came to help fight the Titan army in the Battle of the Labyrinth. He sacrificed his life to deactivate the Labyrinth.
- Peleus - A dragon that guards Thalia's tree after the Golden Fleece had freed Thalia from it.
- Counselors - Do not officially work at Camp Half Blood, but are cabin leaders, and form the War Council. Some duties are: Scheduling events for cabin, inspecting cabins, border patrol, leading the cabin into battles, and, sometimes (like Annabeth, Luke, and Silena), they train you in activities.
The counselors of camp that meet when issuing a quest, a military attack or during a crisis.
There is no known exact schedule, but according to The Ultimate Guide, this is Percy's (which might be different for other campers) camp schedule:
|08:00 AM-09:00 AM||Breakfast and cabin inspection||Breakfast and cabin inspection||Breakfast and cabin inspection||Breakfast and cabin inspection||Breakfast and cabin inspection|
|09:00 AM-10:30 AM||Ancient Greek with Annabeth||Ancient Greek with Annabeth||Ancient Greek with Annabeth||Ancient Greek with Annabeth||Ancient Greek with Annabeth|
|10:30 AM-11:00 AM||Lunch Preparation||Store checks||Cleaning Stables||Picking Strawberries||Polishing armor|
|11:00 AM-12:00 PM||Archery with Chiron||Javelin throwing||Sword skills||Monster assault techniques||Pegasus riding|
|12:00 PM-12:30 PM||Greek Mythology with Grover||Greek Mythology with Grover||Greek Mythology with Grover||Greek Mythology with Grover||Greek Mythology with Grover|
|12:30 PM-1:30 PM||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch|
|1:30 PM-3:30 PM||Weapon-making||Ride the rapids||Tracking skills||Wrestling||Volleyball|
|3:30 PM-5:00 PM||Letters Home||Cabin clean-up||Laundry||Wood-chopping||Firework-making|
|5:00 PM-6:00 PM||Free time||Free time||Free time||Free time||Free time|
|6:00 PM-7:00 PM||Dinner||Dinner||Dinner||Dinner||Dinner|
|7:00 PM-9:00 PM||Volleyball league||Unarmed combat||Archery knockout||Trials of strength||Capture the Flag against groups of campers or the Hunters of Artemis|
|9:00 PM-10:00 PM||Campfire singalong with Apollo's cabin||Campfire singalong with Apollo's cabin||Campfire singalong with Apollo's cabin||Campfire singalong with Apollo's cabin||Campfire singalong with Apollo's cabin|
According to the sign, the camp has moved around with Western Civilization since Greece, however, according to Daedalus, it has not been around for even fifty years, though Daedalus could have been actually referring to when he himself was a child many thousands of years ago. This is supported due to Bunker 9, it has been around since the USA's early days — mainly the American Civil War as both Greek and Roman demigods fought each other in a Demigod Civil War.
- The road address, Farm Road 3.141, is the first four digits of pi (π).
- Camp Half-Blood is always in the East because in ancient times, the Greeks always existed in the Eastern part of the Roman empire.
- The cover name for camp is Delphi Strawberry Services.
- Assuming each of the twenty cabins has twelve occupants with the post Titan War Hermes cabin no longer holding as many campers, excluding the cabins of Hera (who had no demigod children) and Artemis (who’s hunters only stay on occasion), the camp can house an average of 216 demigods.
- Due to the magical barrier protecting the camp, precipitation and weather in the camp, (such as snow, rain, etc.) don't fall on the camp unless desired so by Mr. D. It also keeps out mortals if unneeded or for protection.
- However, Percy once mentioned a pizza delivery guy entered Camp Half-Blood once by just being "really lost." The "really lost pizza delivery guy" was later revealed to have been sent by Apollo.
- Annabeth wants to design a monument for the Greek Gods in the Camp Half-Blood, including statues and golden braziers for burnt offerings. She would include desing it so that every morning the rising sun would shine through its windows and make a different god' emblem on the floor, as well as with perfect acoustics so the demigods could perform concerts inside. Chiron says that the work would need to sell four millions truckloads of strawberries.
- The campers wanted to call Zeus' Fist "Poop Pile" as it looked like a 'giant pile of deer droppings', but Chiron prohibited them, as he didn't want to offend Zeus, who doesn't have a great sense of humor.
- Unlike Camp Jupiter, there are no older demigods at Camp Half-Blood. Presumably, most campers stay on as councelors or left to start lives best they could after reaching a certain age (like Charles Beckendorf), while others may not make it to adulthood.
- The only mortal allowed in Camp Half-Blood is Rachel Elizabeth Dare who is the camp's host for the Oracle of Delphi.
|Camp Half-Blood:||Amphitheater | Archery Field | Bunker 9 | Cabins | Camp Borders | Camp Store | Camp Half-Blood Forest | Climbing Wall | Cave of the Oracle | Dining Pavilion | Grove of Dodona | Half-Blood Hill | Rec Room | Sword Fighting Arena | Thalia's Pine Tree | Myrmeke's Lair | Strawberry Fields | The Beach | The Big House | The Big House Attic | Zephyros Creek|