Golden drachmas are large, round coins that are usually made of gold or silver. They were used as currency by the Ancient Greeks. Mortals used to use the silver drachmas. However, as Chiron stated in The Lightning Thief, the gods never use anything less than pure gold. They are described as big as Girl Scout cookies by Percy, and are used by the gods and demigods. The drachmas have images of various gods stamped on one side, and the Empire State Building on the other.
The ancient mortal drachmas were made of silver, but the gods now do not use anything less than pure gold mined from Olympus. Golden drachmas are used as currency, to send Iris message, and for getting a taxi ride from the Gray Sisters.
Drachma can be used for the following:
- To create an Iris Message
- As payment to get into the Underworld
- To pay the Gray Sisters to take you anywhere as long as its within their serving area
- As payment for sending a letter or package along the Hermes Express
The most common use for the drachma is to send an Iris Message through Iris, the rainbow goddess. It is used for contact when nothing else is available, and is quite useful if any extra drachmas are allowed for use.
When summoning the Gray Sisters' Taxi, Annabeth Chase throws a drachma in the street which falls through.
Roman demigods don't use drachmas because it's Greek currency. Instead they use denarii. The Romans never used Iris Messages like the Greeks because they relied more on their giant eagles and road systems.
Drachmas aren’t used as currency, instead they are used as equipment for characters. They increase certain attributes to whoever equips it. Each character can equip two. There are 20 drachmas that the player can collect in the game.
|Missing Math Teacher||10+ Dodge|
|A Rainy Farewell||10+ Strength|
|The Minotaur’s Horn||10+ Strength|
|Beginner’s Luck||10+ Accuracy|
|Victors||10% Water Damage|
|Hot Time At Camp||10% Fire Damage|
|Road Trip||10+ Protection|
|Worst Bus Ride Ever||50+ Max HP|
|Bad Hair Day||10% Poison Damage|
|Ten Heads Aren’t Better||10% Physical Damage|
|Fan Club President||20% Fire Damage|
|To Fight a God||20% Strength|
|Back Together Again||20+ Protection|
|A Pricy Ride||20% Water Damage|
|Worse Hair Day||20+ Dodge|
|All that Glitters||20% Healing|
|Shot in the Dark||20+ Accuracy|
|Payback||20% Poison Damage|
|Brotherly Love||100+ Max HP|
|Arena Champions||20% Physical Damage|
- Drachmas are Greek currency, while aureus or denarii are Roman currency.
- The word drachma came from the word drássomai, which means "to grasp."
- The Drachma was the oldest currency in use until Greece adopted the Euro in 2001 .
- Though Percy describes the drachma's as being as big as girl scout cookies, in The Lightning Thief, they are the size as regular coins.
- Golden Drachmas are the Greek counterpart of Denarius and Red Gold.