|“||Zane Obispo is my son, the son of wind, storms, and fire. He has the blood of a creator and a destroyer, and I claim him as my own.||”|
–The Storm Runner
Hurakan was responsible for designing the human body. He helped Kukuulkaan create them four different times, the powerful gods wanted to creatures unlike animals to worship them. They first made them out of mud, but the humans were weak and useless. So the two destroyed them with a flood or the humans dissolved themselves. Then they used wood to make another batch, but they were dumb as wood so they were destroyed too, survivors became monkeys. When they tried corn with the advice of Xpiyacoc and Xmucane, those humans could think, mark time and keep records. However, those humans were smart and could understand too much like the gods, so the gods sent a great fog to obscure some of their knowledge. Some believe Hurakan was also responsible for giving humans fire.
Centuries later he met Mrs. Obispo at the Yucatán peninsula and the two had a son together. However, because of the Sacred Oath forbidding the gods to sire demigods, he and Zane would be killed if they were found out to be guilty. Thus, he would send windstorms to shield Zane from the other gods.
Hurakan appears on a skyscraper close to Ah-Puch’s penthouse, telling Zane not to accept his deal on becoming one of his soldiers of death.
While Zane is with Saqik’oxol, he pulls him in to the Empty to train his son in his dominant power, fire. The first attempt goes poorly and he tells Zane to release the energy or else he would burn from the inside out. Zane soon goes back to his body.
When the council is gathered, he introduces Zane as the one from the Prophecy of Fire and his son. He is chained down in snakes by Mat the other gods and sentenced to death. However by claiming Zane in front of the other gods in the Old World, he has unlocked his son’s full power allowing him to defeat Ah-Puch.
After the fight, Hurakan is imprisoned in a tiny prison for the time being. The council decided not to kill him as they might need his power someday. After going to his new home in Isla Holbox, Zane Obispo decided that he had to free his father.
Zane Obispo learns that his father is indeed going to be executed. He knows he must rescue him as well as save other godborns like him from the gods without them finding out that he is actually alive.
| Then there was the little one...
This article is in need of expansion. You can edit it in order to achieve a higher standard.
In the Empty, Hurakan took the form of an obsidian black jaguar (panther) and shone almost silver in the moonlight. He had piercing green eyes.
When encountering Zane in the Old World, Hurakan had dark disheveled hair, looked like hadn't shaved in three days, and was so stiff he could've been made of stone. He wore a dark T-shirt, dark pants, and a leather band on each wrist. His eyes can change from gold to black.
- Aerokinesis: As the god of wind, Hurakan has control over the winds. He had used this power to shield Zane from the other gods.
- Atmokinesis: As the god of storm, Hurakan has control over storms. He had used them to shield Zane from the other gods.
- Pyrokinesis: As the god of fire, Hurakan has control over the element. His son, Zane, was given this ability as well.
- Creation: As one of the creator gods, Hurakan can create worlds, such as the Empty.
- The name, Hurakan, means "one-legged," in reference to his serpent leg. His Maya name was Hunracán with Hun meaning "one" and Racan meaning "leg."
- The tropical cyclones called hurricanes were said to have been named after Hurakan.
- Other names for Hurakan include Huracan, Bolon Tzacab, Kʼawiil, and God K.
- In Aztec mythology, Tlaloc is similar to Huracan.
- In Popol Vuh, the story of the hero twins interrupts Hurakan and K’ukumatz's story of creating humans after the second attempt.
|Storm Runner series|
|Books:||The Storm Runner | The Fire Keeper | The Shadow Crosser|
|Main Characters:||Ah-Puch | Brooks | Hondo Obispo | Hurakan | Rosie | Zane Obispo|
|Minor Characters:||Mrs. Obispo | Mr. Ortiz | Antonia Caballero | Muwan | Pacific | Jazz | Jordan | Bird | Quinn | Saqik’oxol|
|Mayan Gods:||K’ukumatz | Ixkik’ | Ixtab | Bakab | Yant'o Triad | Nakon | Ixkakaw | Ixchel | Itzam-yée’ | Camazotz|
|Creatures:||Demon Runner | Nawal | Alux | Demon | Giant | Hellhound|
|Related Content:||Jennifer Cervantes | Rick Riordan Presents|