|“||Awkward is telling your rabbi that Daniella Bernstein is going to be your date for your bat mitzvah party. Or telling your dad that the only dancing you want to do is tap, so you're not going to carry on the Asimov family tradition. I know all about awkward.||”|
Lavinia was born to Sergei Asimov, a well known Russian ballet dancer, and Terpsichore, the Muse of dancing and choral songs.
When she had her bat mitzvah, Lavinia took a girl named Daniella Bernstein as her date, much to the confusion of her rabbi.
She also wanted to study tap dancing rather than ballet, much to her father‘s dismay.
Joining the Twelfth
At one point Lavinia was sent to the Wolf House to be trained with Lupa and survived, then making her way south to Camp Jupiter in the San Francisco Bay Area and enlisted into the legion. She was placed in the Fifth Cohort.
She would sneak away from camp from time to time to explore and familiarize herself with the surrounding area or spend time with the local nature spirits. This habit has lead to her learning about multiple secret passageways in and out of camp.
After Apollo and Meg McCaffrey crash their hearse when being chased by a Eurynomos, she and some nature spirits go over to help. She manages to kill the monster with a shot to the chest. She introduces herself and is shocked to learn that Jason Grace is dead. They hear a screech in the distance and she leads them to Camp Jupiter. The nature spirits quickly vanish, but she manages to get Don to help carry the coffin as an apology for giving her false information that Poison Oak, a dryad she likes, was going to be there. She says her sentry partner and centurion let her go to the lake and that she would cover for her. They reach a tunnel that leads to Camp Jupiter and meets up with Lavinia‘s centurion, Hazel Levesque, and are attacked by two more eurynomos. She loads and readies her manubalista as the others kill their pursuers. After informing Hazel of what happened, they somberly move the son of Jupiter‘s body to camp.
When they arrive and meet with the praetors, she begins to tell what Hazel told her to say until she is silenced by Reyna.
Two days later she is aided in feeding the unicorns by Meg. During Jason’s funeral, she and the rest of the fifth cohort act as the honor guard. She and the rest of the legion stand in respect when Lupa arrives.
The following day she saves seats for Meg and Apollo at the Senate House. She asks him about her mother Terpsichore, the muse of dance. He says he does not know much but tells her what he can. She then asks what is going on between him and Reyna, saying multiple people have noticed before the daughter of Bellona reprimands her for talking during the meeting and chewing gum. When Ella reads the prophecy, she deduces that Tarquin‘s tomb is under a merry-go-round in Tilden Park on Wildcat Drive and inadvertently volunteers herself when she pops her gum. She takes the others to her thinking spot for lunch, the bell tower at New Rome University, and complains that she was unfairly chosen for the quest. The four agree to go there separate ways and meet up at the Field of Mars at sundown. She, Meg and Hazel arrive to see Apollo talking with Frank before they set out.
Along the way she and Meg talk and when they reach Tilden Park, she and the others find and enter the tomb. When they reach the throne room she sees that Bobby has been turned into a zombie and nearly cries. Tarquin reveals his plans to attack along the emperors and turns his attention to her and her companions. She tearfully fires a projectile at Bobby, destroying what was left of her friend. After Hazel crushes Tarquin under a wall she and Meg help support Apollo as they retreat. When Hazel senses enemy forces coming at them, she points them to camp and goes to hold them off and returns shortly after her quest mates.
Two days later she calls Apollo over to the fifth cohort‘s table and is annoyed that he won’t tell her about her mother’s shoes on one of the Julia Drusilla Yachts. She also chastises Thomas for his lackluster response. She and the rest of the fifth are shocked that Triumvirate Holdings will use Greek Fire in the upcoming attack. After lunch, she and Don are seen arguing and told to stop by Hazel, but they ignore the daughter of Pluto and keep fighting. She participates in the archery lesson, but gets frustrated and uses her Manubalista. Apolo asks why she relies on it as her main weapon and she says it has to do with personal reasons. Later she and Don drag Apollo away from camp. They take him to People’s Park in Berkeley to explain what happened in Southern California to a group of fauns and dryads. After he does they start to panic and thin of fleeing. She escorts Apollo back to camp, saying she is going to desert and that she was never happy at the legion. She leaves him outside Bombilo’s Coffee Shop.
The following night she arrives in the target parking lot where Apollo, Meg, and Reyna crashed. She pretends to be a first responder to get the crowd of mortals to leave and moves them to the woods by the parking lot. She reveals she has a plan and knocks Reyna out before the praetor can scold her more. They leave to carry it out.
After the battle, she reveals she and the nature spirits destroyed the Julia Drusilla Yachts on Reyna's orders, with the daughter of Bellona confirms. She also obtained her mother’s shoes. She denies Diana’s offer to join the hunters. She stays at Don’s bedside until he dies and reincarnates as a laurel tree.
During the senate meeting after the battle, the daughter of Terpsichore is promoted to centurion after Hazel Levesque is promoted to praetor.
After the party she sneaks out of the camp to spend some time with Poison Oak, receiving rashes on her face that she tried to conceal with makeup. In the morning she says goodbye to Meg and Apollo.
Lavinia is described as a gangly teenage girl with dark hair that she dyes pink and brown eyes. She has long limbs and neck that, according to Apollo, make her look like a baby giraffe. She wears a Star of David pendant around her neck.
Lavinia is shown to be laid back and easily distracted by personal thoughts when on duty, however, she is clear-headed when she needs to be.
Lavinia is also shown to be nervous in combat, but when Caligula and Commodus attack New Rome, she becomes more leader-like and leads the Dryads and Fauns on the attack.
- ADHD: Lavinia is shown to be anxious when sitting still for too long.
- Marksmanship: Lavinia is able to use a manubalista, albeit with minor difficulty.
- Deduction Skills: Lavinia has good deduction skills, being able to unravel a prophecy shortly after hearing it once.
- Superhuman Stamina: Lavinia has a large reserve of stamina, being able to hike for an hour, fight a hoard of the undead, and distract enemy forces on the way back to camp without losing steam,a likely ability gained from her mother,Trepsichore the goddess of dance.
- Leadership: Lavinia is shown to be a capable leader, commanding the nature spirits during times of emergency.
- Dancing Skills: As a daughter of Terpsichore, Lavinia has an inborn talent for dancing. Her chosen style of dance is tap.
- Manubalista: Lavinia has an Imperial Gold manubalista, which she uses as her primary weapon.
- Shoes of Terpsichore: When she and a group of nature spirits went destroy the Julia Drusilla Yachts, the daughter of Terpsichore found and took her mother’s shoes.
Lavinia is attracted to the dryad and takes any opportunity to be around her. After the Battle of San Francisco Bay, the two officially form a relationship.
Lavinia took her as her date to her bat mitzvah.
Lavinia and her father have somewhat of a neutral relationship, she does not want to continue the family tradition of ballet dancing and instead wants to focus on tap, something that disappointed her eager father.
Lavinia has never met her mother and takes any opportunity to know her better.
The two share a mutual respect for one another despite knowing each other for barely a week. The daughter of Terpsichore sees Apollo as a good teacher, despite not picking up archery.
Lavinia respects the daughter of Pluto and trusts her judgment.
Lavinia and Don had a close bond, the daughter of Tersichore often snuck away from camp to spend time with him and the other nature spirits of the Bay Area. She was saddened when he died and sat by the faun’s side until the end.
- Lavinia is the name of a figure in Roman mythology, being the daughter of King Latinus of the Latins and his wife Queen Amata. She was also the last wife of Aeneas.
- Asimov is a Jewish surname of Russian origin.
- Lavinia is the second known Roman demigod or legacy to use a ranged weapon as their primary weapon, the first being Frank Zhang.
- Lavinia is the third known demigod or legacy of Jewish descent, the first two being Cecil Markowitz and Julia Feingold. She is also the first known Roman demigod of Jewish descent.
- Lavinia is the third known lesbian in the series, the first two being Hemithea and Josephine.
- Lavinia is the only known demigod to be a child of a god or goddess that is part of a group.
- She is the fourth known demigod to dye her hair after Kayla Knowles, Billie Ng, and Alex Fierro.
- Lavinia is the first known demigod to form a relationship with a nature spirit.
- Lavinia is the first major character to have an unseen love interest.
- Lavinia is the first character to be a daughter of one of the Nine Muses.
- She has a habit of chewing bubblegum.