A legacy is any mortal who is a second or further generation descendant of a god, namely the children, grandchild or descendent of a Demigod. They may or may not possess similar abilities to their godly ancestors. Recognition of Legacies seems unique to Camp Jupiter. It is also stated that various emperors of Rome were Legacies. Only first generation descendants of the gods attend Camp Half-Blood, although Camp Jupiter accepts legacies.
Most likely, there are many more legacies than demigods in the world. Many demigods (not just Frank Zhang) are probably legacies as well as half-bloods.
Legacies are called as such due to being a mortal grandchild or descendent of a particular deity, for example having three mortal grandparents and one godly grandparent. Legacies only count the god they are decedent off as an ancestor rather then that deitiy’s parents or grandparents, for example a legacy of Ares/Mars is not considered a legacy of Zeus/Jupiter. However it is possible to be a legacy of two gods through various ancestral combonations.
Legacies are shown to sometimes have the abilities of their divine ancestor, such as Octavian having the gift of Prophecy or the decendants of Periclymenus inheriting his shapeshifting abilities. While this is true of some legacies, not every legacy has the abilities of their divine ancestor. This is due to divine powers diluting more and more after every generation of reproducing with mortals, however if the parents are strong demigods, then the legacy’s abilities will likely be on par with their half-blood parents.
List of Legacies
- Icarus and his brother Iapyx were the sons of Daedalus with Athena's blessing, which makes them a legacy of Athena, goddess of wisdom.
- Periclymenus is the grandson of Poseidon.
- The Zhang family are descendants of Poseidon through Periclymenus, and many members of the family have the ability to change into any living creature because they have been blessed by Poseidon. This includes Emily Zhang, Grandma Zhang, Xu Fu, Sung Guo, Shen Lun and Frank Zhang.
- Though Frank Zhang is a son of Mars, through his mother's side, he is a descendant of Periclymenus (who is a descendant of Poseidon). Thus, he has the ability to change into any living creature. He also has Greek, Roman, and Chinese ancestry.
- Julius Caesar was a descendant of Venus, as he was descended from Aeneas, the Trojan hero.
- Aeneas was a legacy of Zeus through his great-great-great-great grandfather Dardanus, who was a son of Zeus.
- Medea is a descendant of Helios and Hecate.
- Lamia's children, Altheia and Demetrius, were children of Zeus but were also descendants of Hecate.
- Vitellius is a descendant of Asclepius. He would also be descended from Ares too.
- Julia is a legacy of an unknown god or goddess.
- Augustus Caesar (the first Roman Emperor) was the nephew of Julius Caesar. Thus, he too is descended from Venus.
- Alexander the Great was said to be a descendant of Hercules on his father's side and Achilles on his mother's, also making him a descendant of Zeus and Thetis.
- Hercules (although he is now a god) was an ancient hero and the son of Zeus. However, he is also a legacy of Zeus because he is the great-grandson of Perseus, son of Zeus.
- Perseus, was said to have been descended from Lelex, a son of Poseidon, making Perseus a legacy of Poseidon. This would also make Hercules descended from Poseidon. Strangely, like his grandson Hercules, he was also a son and legacy of Zeus. His maternal great-grandfather Lacedaemon was a son of Zeus.
- Theseus was the great-great-great-grandson of Zeus.
- Rhea Silvia was the mother of Romulus and Remus. She is descended from Aeneas, son of Venus.
- Perdix is a legacy of Athena, being the nephew of Daedalus, son of Athena.
- Romulus and Remus, being sons of Rhea Silvia, are descendants of Venus.
- Octavian was the resident augur at Camp Jupiter and a descendant of Apollo.
- Odysseus is the descendant of Zeus. He was also a legacy of Hermes as his grandfather, Autolycus, was a son of Hermes.
- Jason, leader of the Argonauts, was actually a legacy of Hermes as his grandfather Autolycus was a son of Hermes.
- Lycaon's father Pelasgus was a son of Zeus, making Lycaon and his children and grandchildren all legacies of Zeus.
- Though Otrera is called the daughter of Ares in the Son of Neptune, she was called the daughter of Eurus in the myths, making her children (Hippolyta, Melanippe, Antiope, Penthesilea) all legacies of Eurus as well as children of Ares.
- Minos and his brothers Rhadamanthus and Sarpedon, were sons of Zeus, but were also legacies of Poseidon and Zeus.
- Dionysus (although he is now a god), was descended from Harmonia, the goddess of harmony. His mother Semele was a daughter of Harmonia and thus he is a legacy of Ares who is also his brother and Aphrodite her parents.
- Asclepius (although he is now a god), was a legacy of Ares through his mother Coronis, whose father was Phlegyas, a son of Ares.
- Ganymede (although he is now a god), was a legacy of Zeus through his great-grandfather Dardanus, he's also a legacy of Scamander, a potamoi, trough his mothers who is/was a naid, making him also a descendent of Oceanus and Tethys.
- Bryce Lawrence, was a legacy of Orcus, the Roman god of punishment in the Underworld.
- Nero (although now a god), was the great-great grandson of Augustus, a descendant of Apollo, making him a legacy. Nero was part of the Julio-Claudian family with blood ties to Julius Casar. Thus, he is descended from Venus, through their distant ancestor, Aeneas. He is also a legacy of Ares and Zeus.
- Staphylus, in addition to being a son of Dionysus, is a legacy of Zeus as his mother is the daughter of Minos, a son of Zeus.
- Hemithea, along with her sisters Rhoeo and Parthenos, are the daughters of Staphylus, a son of Dionysus. She is also a legacy of Zeus through her her father as well.
- Hippolytus is a legacy of both Poseidon and Ares through his father Theseus and his mother Hippolyta respectively.
- Hippolyta, in addition to being a daughter of Ares, was also a granddaughter of Eurus through her mother Otrera
The gens Julia of Rome
In ancient Rome, the family known as Julia was a powerful Patrician Roman family, who claimed descent of many gods. Some of the famous members of this family include: Julius Caesar, Augustus Caesar and Flavius Julius. They trace their lineage back to Romulus, son of Mars and Rhea Silvia, descendants of Aeneas. Others would claim they were related to Aeneas, who lead his people away from Troy and eventually founded the land that would become Rome. Others would sometimes claim to be related to Dardanus, a son of Jupiter and Electra. The claims don't conflict, since in the myths, Romulus and Remus are descendants of Aeneas, who is a descendant of Dardanus.
The gens Caecilia of Rome
In ancient Rome, the family known as Caecilia, a prominent Plebeian tribe, claimed descent from Caeculus, a son of the God Vulcan and the founder of the Latin city of Praeneste.
Ancient Swedish Monarchy
The kings of Sweden are believed to be legacies of Frey, a status that would apply to their modern descendants from various lines, including the modern Swedish Royal family and possibly the Chase Family, such as Magnus and Annabeth.
- A legacy is consider as such if they can call at least one god a grandparent at the very least, such as being:
- the child or descendant of a demigod and a mortal.
- the child or descendent of a legacy and a demigod.
- the child or descendant of a legacy and a mortal.
- the child or descendent of two legacies.
- the child or descendent of two demigods.
- Children born to a demigod and a god, or a legacy and a god are considered both a demigod and a legacy.
- It is currently unknown how a legacy of two different gods is tattooed at Camp Jupiter.