Mist Control, also known as Mist Manipulation, is the ability to control and manipulate the Mist. Those with the power to control the Mist can create Mistforms, illusions, and influence the minds and memories of mortals. In order to successfully control the Mist, the user has to focus on what the target wants to see, not the user.
Jason and Argonauts
One of the quests of Jason and the Argonauts required to recover the Golden Fleece has Hera cover the group in a layer of Mist that makes it so no one notices them until they reach the palace of King Aeëtes of Colchis, Medea's father.
Percy uses the Mist to convince a cop that there was a presidential motorcade coming, and it worked.
Jason Grace and campers at Camp Half-Blood learn that Chiron and the gods have been using the Mist to keep the Roman and Greek demigods separated ever since the Demigod Civil War. Hera also used the Mist to give Piper McLean and Leo Valdez false memories of Jason at the Wilderness School.
Hecate used the Mist to form three blurred, smoky images of the same woman moving in unison. Whenever Hecate is present, a swirling column of Mist surrounds her. She also manipulated the Mist to make Hecuba look like a black cat. Hazel Levesque learned from Hecate that she has the ability to manipulate the Mist to a strong degree. Hazel used it to make the pirate Sciron mistake the side of a cliff for the ocean, so, instead of throwing Jason into the ocean, he throws him away from the border, and he does not get killed. She used the Mist again at the House of Hades to help her and Leo Valdez navigate the Labyrinth in order to defeat Pasiphaë.
Hazel used the Mist to disguise Jason, Annabeth, and Piper McLean while spying on Gaea's ghosts in Ithaca, and again to disguise Percy, Piper, and Annabeth as Earthborns to sabotage the Giants. Lou Ellen uses the Mist to hide the four demigods from the Romans so they can complete the task without getting spotted.
- Summon Mistforms
- Teleportation (via Mist)
- Create powerful illusions (Hallucikinesis)
- Memory manipulation (Mnemokinesis)
- Hide locations, people, beings, and objects
- Disguise people, beings, and objects
- Place people, beings and objects behind the user
- Children of Hecate/Trivia: They have a natural affinity to control the Mist:
- Mythical creatures: They can manipulate Mist to some extent:
- Demigods: Children of witches and/or the Big Three possess the ability to manipulate the Mist.
- According to Lou Ellen Blackstone, the Mist doesn’t work well against alert enemies.
- Glamour in The Kane Chronicles works similar to the ability.
- Chiron usually doesn't teach the demigods how to manipulate the Mist, except for the children of the Big Three (like Thalia Grace). He told Percy Jackson he would teach him how to manipulate the Mist in The Lightning Thief, but still hadn't in The Titan's Curse.
- Percy once tried to manipulate the Mist having watched Thalia do it. However, the mortal he tried it on could see through the Mist, so his true accomplishments couldn't be determined. Years later he attempted it on a mortal cop, which seemed to achieve the desired effect.