Mnemosyne (pronounced roughly "NEMO-sign") is the Titaness of memory and the mother of artistic inspiration. Daughter of Gaea and Ouranos, she is the mother of the Nine Muses with Zeus. Since she remembered everything, none of her brothers wanted to marry her, according to Percy Jackson. Her Roman name is Moneta, which is also a name for Juno.
After the First Titanomachy, Zeus fell in love with her, so he dressed as a shepherd and went to find her. They slept together for nine consecutive nights before he returned on Mount Olympus. Months later Mnemosyne gave birth for nine days on Mount Pierus, each day delivering a daughter. These daughters are the known Muses (the patrons of several creative arts).
In the Underworld, Mnemosyne stood over a black pool that was eventually named after her. It is opposite to the River Lethe as it gives people back their memories instead of making them forget. Using this pool and creating the Throne of Memory, Mnemosyne helped create the Oracle of Trophonius.
To be added
Mnemosyne has dark hair that curls around her timeless face, and wears luminous white robes covered in intricate black words, as if her clothes were woven from e-reader screens.
Mnemosyne was born with a photographic memory and remembered everything and expected everybody else to have a good memory too. She kept the family records and never ever forgot anything.
Since she is a daughter of Ouranus and Gaia and an Elder Titaness, she is very powerful. Specifically, she was considered one of the most powerful beings in her time.
- Mnemokinesis: As the Titaness of Memory, she has absolute control and divine authority over memories. She did this for the dead, allowing them to regain the memories of their past lives. She may even have domain over recorded images like video or photographs, objects of visual memory.
- Absolute Memory: As the Titaness of Memory, she will never forget anything and will always remember.
- Linguistics Manipulation: As the inventor of language and words, she holds domain over both.
- Prophecy: Like her sister Rhea, Mnemosyne also presided over an oracle, thus implying that she may also possess the power of foresight.
- Titanic Energy: Like all Titans, Mnemosyne has the ability to blast things hundreds of yards away from herself with a yell or a wave of the hand.
- Titanic Divine Form: As a Titaness, it is possible that Mnemosyne also has the ability to incinerate any being lesser than a god/Titan only by being present.
- Tongue of the Old Times fluency: According to Tyson in The Battle of the Labyrinth, this is the ancient language that Gaea spoke to the Titans, Elder Cyclops and Hekatonkheires before the birth of the Olympian gods. Hence, she understands and speaks it perfectly.
- Out of the Elder Titanesses, only Mnemosyne and Themis had children with Zeus.
- Furthermore, Mnemosyne and Themis are the only Elder Titanesses who did not marry one of their siblings.
- Mnemosyne is the only Elder Titaness who never married.
|The Demigods of Olympus|
|Core Series:||My Two-Headed Guidance Counselor | The Library of Deadly Weapons | My Demon Satyr Tea Party | My Personal Zombie Apocalypse|
|Main Characters:||Zane Carver | Sam Greenwood|
|Minor Characters:||Mr. Scheer | Ms. Lane | Marilyn | Lola | Ms. Roche | Mr. Zinck | Mr. Moore | Carter McKeown | Lexi | B | Phil | Mike | Marie Laveau | Byron | Lou Garoo | Tabitha | Ming | Ely|
|Olympian Gods:||Zeus | Hera | Poseidon | Demeter | Ares | Athena | Artemis | Hephaestus | Aphrodite | Hermes | Dionysus | Hades|
|Minor Gods:||Barton | Columbia | Libertas|
|Monsters and Magical Creatures:||Leonte | Aethiopian Saytrs | Loups-garoux | Mormo | Daimones Keramiko | Zombie|
|Related Content:||Rick Riordan | Percy Jackson and the Olympians | The Heroes of Olympus | The Trials of Apollo | Demigods & Magicians | Camp Half-Blood Confidential|