Percy Jackson and the Olympians is a film series based on the successful Percy Jackson and the Olympians books. Currently, two films and one short film based on the series have been made: Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief and Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters are the two full-length films, and Tyson appears in a short motion comic.
The Lightning Thief
In June 2004, 20th Century Fox acquired the film rights to the book. In April 2007, director Chris Columbus was hired to lead at the helm of the project. Filming began in April 2009 in Vancouver while other portions of the film were shot at the Parthenon in Nashville, Tennessee; A full-scale replica of the original Parthenon in Athens. Filming wrapped up on the morning of July 25, 2009 in Vancouver, British Columbia. Digital intermediate work began in San Francisco in November 2009. Christopher Beck composed the soundtrack.
Chris Columbus has stated that each member of the cast were chosen specifically with sequels in mind. "I think with Percy Jackson it was a matter of finding the right cast to fit into these roles, sort of the perfect cast for these roles, because hopefully, God willing, we will go on to do other Percy Jackson films and you want the cast to grow with their characters."
The Sea of Monsters
It was revealed on the 749th issue (February 3, 2011) of an online subscription magazine, Production Weekly, that the film is currently in production. In another source, the lead cast members from the first movie are expected to return for their roles. Chris Columbus will not be returning as director, though he will be producing the movie together with Karen Rosenfelt (producer of the Twilight movie, Breaking Dawn). Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski were hired as the scriptwriters. Shooting will begin as early as this summer. On June 16, 2011, it was announced that Thor Freudenthal will be directing the movie. On October 12, 2011, it was announced that the film will be released on March 26, 2013. On May 31, 2012, it was announced that the movie had been pushed back to August 16, 2013. On April 6, it was announced that the movie was pushed up to August 7, 2013.
On January 13, 2012, a brand new production list was released and stated that the movie will film between April 26, 2012 - July 11, 2012. Also, actor Brandon T. Jackson who plays Grover confirmed the movie via tweet and said that the movie will be "hot". It was filmed in Vancouver, B.C. and New Orleans, Louisiana. Filming wrapped up in July and then started again in January for reshoots.
The Titan's Curse
It is not officially confirmed whether or not there will be a third film for the Percy Jackson film series. Paloma Kwiatkowski, the actress of Thalia Grace, stated that she signed on for any future films in the franchise. Logan Lerman, Alexandra Daddario, Brandon T. Jackson, and Jake Abel also signed on for three films, back when production for Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief was ongoing. Two petitions exist with regards to support towards the remaining films being made while a YouTube video released by the organizer of the petition encourages fans to buy the movie on Blu-ray when it comes out on December 17 (North America), and December 14 (France)/whenever it is released in the fans' country to help support towards the remaining movies in the series to be made. As of March 2014, the film is on hiatus and according to Logan Lerman, might not be made. At the Santa Barbara Film Festival in 2015, Logan Lerman stated that while the films were fun to make, he and his co-stars were growing too old for their roles. 
"Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse" is a 2017 fan film by JD Street. It is a full-length film and is supposedly releasing November 12, 2018. It currently holds the #1 most looked at fan film on the IMDb fan film polls.
Monsters Seen in the Films
Differences of Book to Film
- Despite Kronos being the main antagonist of the series, he was barely mentioned by Chiron during The Lightning Thief, and was never mentioned again until the second movie.
- Clarisse La Rue, a major character in the books, was omitted from the first film, and had her part combined with that of Annabeth until the second film, where she is played by Leven Rambin.
- Kronos' name is pronounced in both films as Cronus, first by Chiron and then by the Oracle. which is how it was originally sounded.
- In a deleted scene in The Lightning Thief movie, Grover pronounces Thalia's name as "Thal-i-uh," but in the second film, everybody pronounces it "Tall-i-uh."
- ↑ http://www.productionweekly.com/production-weekly-issue-749-thursday-february-3-2011-266-listings-54-pages/
- ↑ http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/03/percy-jackson-olympians-sequel-sea-monsters-riordan-logan-lerman.html
- ↑ http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/06/percy-jackson-olympians-sequel-lightning-thief-logan-lerman-thor-frudenthal.html
- ↑ http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-die-hard-percy-jackson-247435 Hollywood reporter
- ↑ http://collider.com/lone-ranger-release-date-thor-2/170356/
- ↑ http://www.dgcbc.com/productions.pdf
- ↑ http://twitter.com/brandontjackson
- ↑ http://www.sneakpeek.ca/2012/03/vancouver-film-production-update-april.html
- ↑ http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2012/07/abandoned_six_flags_new_orlean.html
- ↑ https://twitter.com/LoganLerman/status/293845904740466688
- ↑ http://dorkshelf.com/2013/01/02/interview-alexandra-daddario/
- ↑ http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/make-the-remaining-percy-jackson-books-into-movies
- ↑ http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/make-percy-jackson-titan-s-curse-into-a-movie
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfbDdogjad8
- ↑ http://dailynexus.com/2015-02-05/a-list-celebrities-flood-to-the-arlington-for-virtuosos-award/