- This article is about the book series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. You may be looking for the character, video game, the film adaptation, or the film soundtrack.
Percy Jackson and the Olympians is the second series written by Rick Riordan, (the first being Tres Navarres) and the predecessor of The Heroes of Olympus series. The series focuses on Greek mythology.
The series follows the completion of the first Great Prophecy. The second Great Prophecy, later called the Prophecy of Seven is revealed in The Last Olympian. The Heroes of Olympus is the sequel series.
The Great Prophecy
A half-blood of the eldest gods
Shall reach sixteen against all odds
And see the world in endless sleep
The hero's soul, cursed blade shall reap
A single choice shall end his days
Olympus to preserve or raze
This prophecy unravels throughout the series:
- Percy Jackson is a half-blood child of Poseidon, one of the six eldest gods born of the Titan Rhea, wife of Kronos.
- Percy reaches sixteen despite all of the numerous times he was almost killed by Luke/Kronos and his monsters.
- Percy finds the whole city of Manhattan asleep from Olympus, so the war can go on without any of the humans interfering.
- Luke Castellan used Annabeth's knife to kill himself to stop Kronos. This is the same knife that he gave her when she was little. He promised that they would be there for her and that they (including Thalia) would be a family. When Luke broke his promise to Annabeth, her knife became a cursed blade.
- Percy had to choose between giving Annabeth's knife to Luke and allow him to destroy himself or trying to destroy Luke himself. Either choice would have resulted in Luke's death however.
- Percy's choice would result in the either the destruction of Olympus or its preservation.
- The Lightning Thief - July 1, 2005
- The Sea of Monsters - April 1, 2006
- The Titan's Curse - May 11, 2007
- The Battle of the Labyrinth - May 6, 2008
- The Last Olympian - May 5, 2009
- Demigods and Monsters - January 1, 2008
- The Demigod Files - February 10, 2009
- The Ultimate Guide - January 19, 2010
The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series is also available in unabridged audiobook form, read by Jesse Bernstein.
- The Percy Jackson books follow a step-by-step procedure called the hero's journey. It's found in almost every tale about heroes, including Kung Fu Panda to Star Wars.
- This series covers the longest period of time in the Riordan franchise, a total of four years.
- The first three consecutive books of the series feature the revelation of a demigod child of the Big Three: