| Spoiler Alert!
Warning! This page contains spoilers for The Tower of Nero.
- This article is about the book. For the actual tower, see Nero's Tower.
On February 14, 2020, hypable.com published the exclusive first two chapters from the book. Currently, the cover art for the book on iTunes and Google Play is a blue cover with the release date in the bottom right hand corner. There is currently no sample on iTunes on Apple Books, but there will be as soon as Rick wants there to be. Rick Riordan is kindly requested by everyone to change the cover art on Google play and iTunes to the actual cover art on his website. Also, he is requested to change the release date so no one will get their hopes up but have to wait a week. Finally, he is requested to give us a sample and a synopsis on Apple Books. We now know that Robby Daymond will narrate the audio book. It was updated on July 5th, 2020.
Reunion on a Train
Apollo and Meg McCaffrey are in the quiet car of an Amtrak pulling out of Union Station in Washington, D.C. to head to New York City. Apollo sees an Amphisbaena, a snake with a head on each end, get on and stares at them. He tries to tell Meg about it, but she shushes him. After the amphisbaena is still on when they reach Philadelphia, he goes over under the guise of using the bathroom and when he gets close it grabs him and recites the next part of the terza rima prophecy they received from Tyson and Ella.
The son of Hades, cavern-runners’ friend,
Must show the secret way unto the throne.
On Nero’s own your lives do now depend.
After doing so, it snaps out of a trance and is shot with an arrow and killed. Apollo turns around to see a Germani, Gunther, and a Gaul with Meg at sword point. Meg and the Gaul, Luguselwa, are revealed to know one another.
They are taken to the concessions car where another half dozen Germani are waiting and put in a booth. However before entering, Lu tells Apollo and Meg to use the bathroom when they enter New York. Lu explains Nero used the oracle of Delphi to see when they would reach the city and put teams on every train station, bus station, and airport to catch them when they do. As they cross the state line, Lu escorts them to the bathroom, revealing that she is helping them to escape. Lu and Meg fight in a mock duel to show the Germani that they are still rivals, when the truth is something else. Meanwhile, Apollo holds the door of the cabin shut, and with his newly acquired bow from Camp Jupiter, manages to disconnect the cabin they jumped into from the Germani's.
- Meg McCaffrey
- Nico di Angelo
- Will Solace
- Rachel Elizabeth Dare
- Kayla Knowles
- Austin Lake
- probably Zeus
- Possibly Annabeth Chase
- Two-headed snake dude/Jamming up my quiet ride/Also, Meg’s shoes stink
- Pastries for dinner?/ Your fave Lester could never/Got to pee. Later.
- This is the only book in The Trials of Apollo series to have “of” in the title.
- This is also the only book in The Trials of Apollo to have more than three words in its title.
- Apollo comments on the existence of Celtic Gods in the second chapter.
- The book was originally stated to be released on September 29th, 2020, but was moved back a week.
- Due to this it is currently set to release on the same day as Tristan Strong Destroys the World.