Yan was born in Hong Kong to Apollo and an unknown person. They were presumably raised by their mortal parent, and was brought to Camp Half-Blood by an unknown satyr as soon as they were old enough.
Yan first appeared after coming back from a hike with their siblings Kayla, Austin, Gracie, and Jerry. After an awkward introduction to their father Apollo, they went to breakfast.
After the Assault on Nero’s Tower, Yan and the rest of Cabin Seven aid in healing the wounded on both sides.
- ADHD: Like most demigods, they likely possess inborn supernatural battle reflexes and senses that they use to analyze the fighting style of their opponent.
- Dyslexia: As a Greek demigod, it can be assumed that they have dyslexia, their brain being hardwired for Ancient Greek.
- Vitakinesis: It is assumed that they can heal others via singing a hymn to their father.
- Apollo: It is assumed Yan has an awkward relationship with their father, Apollo.
Yan is a Chinese name (presumably romanized in Cantonese, the dominant and co-official language of Hong Kong) which can mean "kindness" (恩), "joy" (欣), "dawn" (昕), "altruism, an ancient Chinese virtue" (仁), "abundance, or one of the historical capitals of the Shang dynasty" (殷), "sitting-mat" (茵), or other words with similar pronunciations. It is a gender-neutral name for the most part.
- Yan's canonical gender and pronouns are not specified at all during their canonical appearances. Their name also does not give much indication to their gender, as 'Yan' is a gender-neutral name (though some readings of the name are more masculine/feminine, no readings are provided in canon). As a result, the Riordan Wiki will default to addressing Yan with they/them pronouns and gender-neutral terminology.
- Yan is the only canon Asian character who is known to be born and raised in Asia.